R.D. burman, the man, the music
Parvinder Singh
2011-05-11 06:24:49 UTC
Just finished reading, ‘R.D. Burman, The Man, the Music’. I cried while reading the death scenes in the beginning. The rest of the  book is a wonderful journey of Pancham’s Music. A am feeling as if I have  attended many ‘Sittings’, where gems were created and have went through the  various phases of his life. The book deserves appreciation as it has been undoubtly  written with passion and lot of research. Even then I have somewhat different opinion in respect of some points:-

1.     The music of ‘Joshila’  has not been appreciated calling it a let down as compared   to ‘Aa gale lag ja’. I think the two songs ‘Kiska rasta dekhe’ and ‘Sharma na yoon’ were absolutely wonderful and two Kishor – Aasha- lata duets were also great. The movie bombed because of half-hearted direction by Yash Chopra
2.     It has been written a few times in the book that such and such movie or its music could become successful had its songs been sung by Kishor.  I don’t’ think Kishor’s voice could save a horrible movie from meeting its fate, or Pancham could not give a great song without Kishor.

              Though it is not possible to write above every movie, some lesser known movies like ‘Kaun Kaise’ with great music have not been not mentioned.

              No other MD has got so many flops in his kitty. Even then Pancham has always been appreciated  for his music in those movies. Every actor, director, music director goes through bad phase in his/her life. So was the case with Pancham. We can safely say that the person (or group) for whom the Pancham was favourite were not making good (or successful) movies, whereas other MDs like L.P were getting noticed because of some stupid hit movies like Amar Akbar Anthony with ordinary music. Yes it can be said that Pancham deserves more than what he got.

          Let’s appreciate the spirit with which the book has been written.
          Long live the ‘Pancham’.

                                                                   Er. Parvinder singh

                                                                   Dy. Director/PSEB

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
pancham-digest-***@public.gmane.org
pancham-fullfeatured-***@public.gmane.org

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Anirudha Bhattacharjee
2011-05-12 06:47:33 UTC
Dear Parvinder ji

Thank you so much for reading the book and the kind words. Now to clear some confusion, -

<<1.     The music of ‘Joshila’  has not been appreciated calling it a let down as compared   to ‘Aa gale lag ja’. I think the two songs ‘Kiska
rasta dekhe’ and ‘Sharma na yoon’ were absolutely wonderful and two
Kishor – Aasha- lata duets were also great. The movie bombed because of
half-hearted direction by Yash Chopra >>

- Please see I have clearly mentioned that it was thought as a let down then, in 1973 / 74. The subsequent para talks about how this score has resurfaced in the late 1980s and is considered a cult. I have also taken this as an opportunity to talk about the songs in some detail

<<It has been written a few times in the book that such and such movie or
its music could become successful had its songs been sung by Kishor.  I
don’t’ think Kishor’s voice could save a horrible movie from meeting its fate, or Pancham could not give a great song without Kishor.>>

- But that was the magic of Kishore Kumar in those days. I cannot think of Garam Masala , ZKDH or Manzil Manzil w/o Kishore Kumar.
RD, when using Kishore, took pains to make the tune complex and riveting enough to plumb Kishore's potential to the best. For lesser singers, he deliberately kept the compositions simple. All IMHO.

<<Though it is not possible to write above every movie, some lesser known movies like ‘Kaun Kaise’ with great music have not been
not mentioned.>>

- Correct. Also I have not mentioned films like Raaton ka raja, Parchaaiyaan, even Nafrat or Madhosh. We were told to restrict the text to a particular word limit, and in the process had to leave out many films. Many of his off-beat stuff in the 1980s had to be left out primarily because the 1980s chapter talked more about  heartbreaks and suffering.

________________________________

sourav mazumder
2011-05-12 17:40:53 UTC
Hi Aniruddha,

Beg to differ from u on the context of Garam Masala, ZKDH and Manzil Manzil.

Tunes of songs from Manzil Manzil are pretty complex IMHO. Think of Lut Gaaye Hum Raahoa Pe, Jhalak Dikhaake, Woh Meri Jaan. Now it is different guess all together to predict what KK could have done to all these songs compared to SS. In contrast in Zabardast it was all KK. But apart from Jab Chaha Yaraa Tumne tune of other KK songs are not that special.

Coming ZKDH - Again none of the mail voice songs I think anyway lack lustered than RD's typical output i Big Banners.

Garam Masala - I'll tend to agree with u. Apart from Tum Jaise Ko other songs are mediocre. Especially that way Do Phool was much more tricky.

Regards,
Sourav

________________________________

Anirudha Bhattacharjee
2011-05-13 05:46:53 UTC
Sourav

I adore all the Asha solos of Garam Masala. Apart from Tum jaiso ko, which is a swing version of a blues composition, the other two are also great.

I can't extend this feeling to the Rafi-Asha duets and always miss Kishore Kumar. All IMHO.

Manzil Manzil compositions were not very simple, but SS made them sound very complex. SS I never thought was a natural singer. He had to be tutored to hit the right notes. Like some of the singers during that time, he had the tendency to stray away from the tune. Can u think of the gay abandon of Jhalak dikhake if Kishore Kumar had sung it? I sense a big time hit :) - which it was not.

Same for ZKDH. Rafi's voice is strained, thins down considerably during the high notes, SS is del-off key in Hoga tumse and Pari ho. Manna is wasted in Main hun albela. Only Asha sparkles in Poocho na yaar..

I went to see this film with lots of expectations - and came out shattered. To start with, it was a bogus film - after the rather appeasing trailers which I had seen. It had none of the chic and the sophistication of either YKB or HKKN. And Rishi acted as it he was catering to the frontbenchers. And I  missed Kishore Kumar badly :)

________________________________

Parvinder Singh
2011-05-13 15:34:59 UTC
Aniruddh ji,

                 I am also a kishor fan, but I can't dare call Rafi's voice as strained and thin at high notes. SS was off-key at times but it get dissolved  in Pancham's compositions.Yes ZKDH was noway near YKB and HKKN. The story line was thin and childish at times. I think Rishi was better actor as compared to all Kapoors and his comedy timing. was excellent in ZKDH .

Parvinder

2011-05-14 03:16:47 UTC
But Rafi's voice is thin - whatever the pitch might be. At higher notes, it is strained. This has nothing to do with somebody liking / disliking his voice. It is the texture of his voice and it remained like that only.

With age, his voice had shown signs of stress. There is nothing to be ashamed / defensive about the same. It happens to all singers.

Hope this clarifies.

________________________________

Dhruva Chowdhury
2011-05-15 02:59:56 UTC
Anirudha,

Today on Rediff :
http://www.rediff.com/movies/slide-show/slide-show-1-excerpt-from-rd-burman-biography/20110510.htm

Dhruva

Ramachandran Ram
2011-05-15 15:02:38 UTC
Anirudha et al,

The link made very interesting reading.

Talking about Rafi, I have heard and appreciated and disliked Rafi from 1963 onwards, before even Pancham was in HFM mainstream.

Rafi's earlier renderings were beyond par from his debut until aout 1968-1969....by he time he was singing in Andaz, the "stress in his voice was showing. After that he started sounding really ordinary and ometimes utterly bad!

Take for example our own( yes he is our own) Pancham's compsitions with Rafi, like Wadiyaan Mera Daman,where his pronunciation o Wadiyan makes me wonder why he went nasal. Next, listen to Kya Hua Tera Wada...here he is definitely stretching himself. Then comes Yaadon Ki Baraat,where KK is effortless and superb, whereas in the mukhda and anthra, Rafi is "horrible" at best. there are numerous othr instances where Rafi showed his strain and did not sound like he id in his prime, which I am not going to delve into now.

Rafi in short was great untl he sounded spent after 1969-1970 or so and that was the meteoric rise of KK and Pancham. This is evident as your music system capability is more sophisticated.

Only my opinion and thought I'd chime in as I am an avid HFM listener.Peace!

Ram.

Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:54 AM
music
[...]

           Long live
the ‘Pancham’.

binesh nair
2011-05-13 20:03:55 UTC
Dear Anirudhji,
Where can i get this book. Please let me know. I stay in Mumbai.Is it possible to get it here.
bineshpancham.
2011-05-14 03:10:47 UTC
It is in Mumbai. All major stores. Or else try flipkart.

http://www.flipkart.com/burman-anirudha-bhattarcharjee-balaji-vittal-book-9350290491

________________________________

suwag11
2011-05-22 15:34:08 UTC
I finally got my hands on this book, and thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

The authors make it clear at the outset that this is not a biography of RD; however, they seem to have taken a biographical approach (consciously or unconsciously) to telling the story of RD's music. The best approach in my view: the story unfolds for the reader, not as a march of abstractions and technical discussions of RD's composition (which may have proven too abstruse for me) but as a series of events in his life with the attendant hopes, aspirations, disappointments, success, failure, and ultimately tragedy. It is a gripping story, told extremely well.

The book has a kind of anecdotal (at times gossipy) feel to it. The picture of RD that emerges from these sketches, recounted by his various associates, is eminently believable. I never met RD in life, even though I lived in the same city and was in my mid-twenties when he died. At the time of his death I had been a die-hard fan for over a decade. I spent the most of the 1980s searching for and collecting his film tracks, but it never occurred to me to try and meet my idol. However, I used to collect every article about him or interviews he gave. And from all the colelcted material I had formed an idea of what he must have been as a person in my mind. The RD that comes forth from 'R.D. Burman: the Man the Music' (I did not get the impression from reading the book that either of the authors had met RD in life) is the same I have 'constructed' in my mind over the years.

The authors are self-confessed admirers of RD's music, but not even once in the book does the narrative descend to fawning schmaltz. Behind the deceptively simple prose that sucks the reader in (my speed of reading English is not great, but I finished the book within two days), are operating cool analytical minds. Probably aware that the book is for the likes of me who are not knowledgeable of the intricacies of music, the authors seem to have taken care not to make the analyses too technical; yet they have successfully conveyed that which is so special in many of RD's songs. Not easy, this, explaining the leavening of RD's music via byte size information for the consumption of hoi polloi.

I was particularly interested in reading about the 1980s, for no other reason than that I became an RD fan in the 1980s. My love affair with RD's music began with 'Love Story' and 'Rocky' ('Rocky' more than 'Love Story'); 'Sanam Teri Kasam', 'Shakti', and 'Satte Pe Satta' confirmed (for me) that he was head and shoulders ahead of his contemporaries; and by the time 'Masoom' was released in 1983, I had become a dyed-in-the-wool RD fan. I genuinely love almost all of RD's tracks in the 1980s except a few that came out towards the end of the decade. The authors have not only given a fairly detailed account of the vicissitudes of RD's career in that decade (starting as the head of the pack, losing his grip midway through, and ending it on a career-threatening low, they have also vividly depicted the HFM scene of those times. As one reads it, it's impossible not to rejoice with RD's success, feel disappointed when his quality albums flop, and feel angry when he is stabbed in the back. It's a gripping narration.True, the authors have been a tad harsh on the score of 'Zamane Ko Dikhana Hai' (the film was lousy, but the music was superb, IMO, and it was a big hit, at least in Mumbai. Years later, Sandeep Chowtha reworked the Raf-Asha duet in one of his films, citing the original as one of his favourites); true they could have said a bit more on RD's underrated scores such as 'Amir Aadmi GAreeb Aadmi', 'Bindiya Chamkegi' etc., but I guess, the problem here is: RD was a very prolific composer (he actually scored for more films in the 1980s and the 1970s) and it is impossible to do cover all of the albums, especially the unsuccessful ones.

'RD Burman: the Man the Music' manages the twin feat of making RD's story fascinating both to his fans as well as those who may not share an obsessive fan's interest in his music. I was also pleased to see this group and some its long-standing members getting a mention.

A few nitpickings: the book says at one point that the singer Hariharan débuted under RD's baton in the film 'Boxer'. That can't be correct; Hariharan sang for RD in 'Dard Ka Rishta' which came out a couple of years earlier.

Javed Akhtar writes in the forewored that he and RD first worked together for 'Saagar'. 'Saagar' was released in 1985. A year earlier was released a film entitled 'Duniya' with RD's music and Javed's lyrics. Perhaps the work on 'Saagar' started earlier.

Finally, in the photo section I noticed the absence of Sapan Chakravarti. He does not feature even in the group photographs. While one can understand his name not being mentioned in the dedication at the beginning (Basu, MAnohari and Maruti Keer are mentioned) seeing as he and RD most probably did not part on good terms, his absence in the photo-section is strange. I hope it was an oversight. Sapan C, all said and done, was an important member of RD's group for almost two decades, and, according to the book, also scattered his ashes.

But these are quibbles. This is a superb book, a must read not just for RD fans but also for lovers of HFM.

Ajay
Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2011 1:33 AM

Date: Thursday, 12 May, 2011, 12:17 PM

Dear Parvinder ji
Thank you so much for reading the book and the kind words. Now to clear some confusion, -
<<1.     The music of ‘Joshila’  has not been appreciated calling it a let down as compared   to ‘Aa gale lag ja’. I think the two songs ‘Kiska
rasta dekhe’ and ‘Sharma na yoon’ were absolutely wonderful and two
Kishor â€" Aasha- lata duets were also great. The movie bombed because of

Dhruva Chowdhury

Date: Thursday, 12 May, 2011, 12:17 PM
[...]
its music could become successful had its songs been sung by Kishor. Â I
don’t’ think Kishor’s voice could save a horrible movie from
meeting its fate, or Pancham could not give a great song without Kishor.>>
Post by Anirudha Bhattacharjee
- But that was the magic of Kishore Kumar in those days. I cannot think
of Garam Masala , ZKDH or Manzil Manzil w/o Kishore Kumar.Â
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:54 AM
[...]
         Long live the ‘Pancham’.  Â
Er. Parvinder singh

Ramachandran Ram
2011-05-22 15:45:15 UTC
Nicely analysed Ajay.

Ram.

Anirudha Bhattacharjee
2011-05-23 04:20:26 UTC
Hi Ajay

Many thanks for your review. It comes from the bottom of the heart :). I did meet RD once but was too young to realize his greatness at that point in time. That too in a Kishore Kumar show, and all my interest was focused on Kishore Kumar while RD's orchestra - a tad loud that day - took a backseat.

Saying that, I was a pucca fan since the early 1970s - when I was moving from a kiddies school to St Mikes, an all boys school. Maybe that is somehting I would define as 'adolescence 5 years ahead of its time :D'. The Jane jaans, the Jane tu yah jane nas, the Kiska rasta dekheys were my staple diet. It was difficult to say whether I was a RD fan or a Kishore fan, maybe a fan of both. This realization dawned much later, amidst the SD-RD discussions with my father for whom anything from the house of SD Burman was food for the soul.

Regarding Hariharan, I had written that he debuted in Dard ka rishta - Ganapati bappa morya. Did this get edited? I dont know, but shall check the book and let u know. In fact when Saurav C was in Cal at my place, we had actually discussed this song.

I have prepared an errata sheet which I shall mail u separately.

Warm regards
Anirudhaa

________________________________

Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2011 1:33 AM

preegop-/
2011-05-23 06:20:02 UTC
Hariharan sang "Ajeeb saneha mujh par" in "Gaman" under Jaidev's music in 1978-79. Wasn't "Dard ka rishta" in the 80's?

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2011 1:33 AM

Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 11:54 AM

pancham-***@yahoogroups.com
pancham-***@yahoogroups.com

pancham-***@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is s
Anirudha Bhattacharjee
2011-05-23 06:26:43 UTC
1982. This is not about Hariharan debuting but abt Hariharan debuting under RD.

Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2011 1:33 AM